Sunday 10 November 2013

The Great South Run 2013, October, Portsmouth and Southsea


At the end of October I completed the Great South Run again. 

Having caught the running bug nearly two years ago I felt an enormous sense of achievement crossing that finish line as I ran the complete 10 miles on my own, with great support from the crowd.

For anyone unaware the Great South Run is the premiere 10 mile event in the UK and attracts thousands and thousands of runners each year (25,000 this time).

There is a great buzz and you run through the streets of Portsmouth and Southsea through the dockyard, past the Spinnaker, and along the seafront. 

All the way through I felt fine a lot more confident than last year and paced myself to make sure I didn't burn out quickly. However, it would seem the weather had another plan for the runners, the evening of the run a massive storm was predicted.  It didn't hit when we were running however coming through Eastney was fine but turning right onto the seafront it felt as if someone hit you and running along was a constant struggle and felt as if someone constantly had their hands on your shoulders pushing you back.

It was brutal and by far the hardest two miles I have ever run, there was a point that I was concerned that I would not be able to finish, I kept running whereas others walked. The only thought going through my head was if I walk I won't be able to run and with the need to beat my time again kept pushing through.

Last year I completed the Great South Run in 2 hours 9 minutes, this year...1 hour 58 minutes. To say I am over the moon is an understatement I was overwhelmed and so proud that I had done it. I also raised £260 for Mind which was phenomenal.

I did say I wasn't going to do it again next year, £41 is quite a lot, so I am looking at getting a charity spot again. My thinking well first it is the 25th anniversary and second if it's not windy how fast could I run it?

In other running news not long to go until the Brighton Half Marathon in February, little nervous 13 miles so this week going to up my training to nail it! Just hope my couple of weeks off doesn't impact on it all.



After the Great South Run

My treat after the race



No comments:

Post a Comment