Tuesday 30 March 2010

Gaga for Gaga

Lady Gaga, love her or hate her you have to admit there is something about her which is intriguing and fascinating.


I am a massive fan of the singer; I first heard her debut song Just Dance on Fearne and Reggie’s request show on a Saturday as part of the new music generator. I was then lucky enough to see her support the Pussycat Dolls just after Just Dance went to number one. At that point she was still fairly normal, however, for a forty five minute set she had three costumes changes, and her avant garde style videos may have been a little out there for a room of teenage Pussycat Doll fans, but I loved it.

She is the type of person you could imagine being part of Andy Warhol’s factory, someone with a story and a different way of expressing herself. Her costumes, videos and songs are a extension of her persona. Recently the video for Telephone has reached over a billion hits, but then after watching it you can see why. Lady Gaga is a cultural icon, drawing on different mediums and tapping into a generation’s culture. The video is very reminiscent of a Quentin Taratino film (it also features the car from Kill Bill), and the ending plays homage to Thelma and Louise. Featuring Beyonce, just adds to the video, the second song from the R’n’B and Pop Queens. I wouldn’t be surprised now if I see loads of girls using diet coke cans as rollers.

She also has a passion for her fans or her little monsters; she even has a tattoo on her arm dedicated to them. In February I saw her live at the O2 and the passion for performing and her fans is contagious. The feeling of everyone being connected is something I have only ever experienced one other time at a Kylie Minogue gig; the fans love her just as much as she loves them.
Her show was ….. Indescribable! Where some performers claim to have a story, Gaga narrated a lot, so the audience knew what was going on. The sets and costumes were massive and if rumours are to be believed not only did she change the whole show in two weeks after finishing in the US leg but she also put her own money into the production. It's no wonder than that the second leg of the tour the price of tickets have almost tripled, I bought my ticket for £30 whereas now the price ranges from £50-£75, but I’m sure this hike in the price is down to the promoter and not Gaga, who said that she doesn’t really care much for money.

I believe that Lady Gaga will be someone that in ten, twenty years will be heralded as a cultural icon and the inspiration to future dancers, singers and actors. I’m just glad that I got to experience it live and hope to again…. if she lowers the price of her tickets of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment