Friday 3 August 2012

Another cake bites the dust...

Oh well, my run of cake making had been going so well. Not so today!

A month of so ago I watched Ramsay Behind Bars on channel 4. Gordon Ramsay went to a male prison to set up a bakery. They made lemon treacle slices, which later sold Caffe Nero in certain parts of London.

I liked the look of the slices and thought I would give them a go. They didn't seem complicated but I was a little concerned as it is very different to the other cakes I have done before.

I bought all the stuff and it seemed to be going well, I had made the base and the topping. Put it all together, base, then lemon curd and then the topping.

Put it in the temperamental oven and left to cook.

However, I could then smell burning took it out and the top was a little like jelly and not 'firm to the touch' as the recipe said it should be so I turned the heat down and left.

I checked it again and it was brown on the top and felt firm so I got it out and left it to cool.

Now when I went to cut it, it wasn't cooked properly and the biscuit base crumbled and went to pieces so it resembled more of a crumble than a cake. It did taste quite nice...in pieces. So I binned it, bad I know but I was embarrassed.

I'm off all week so was going to make rosemary truffles, not sure now.

It was the boyfriend's mums birthday on Wednesday and she has requested lemon cupcakes, at least I know I can make them and may do a twist and take out a bit of the middle and put some lemon curd on them.

Well at least I know now but I really wanted the slices to work! I think the mixture was too runny. Oh dear, I would definitely not get the contract with Caffe Nero.

No comments:

Post a Comment