Monday 10 December 2012

Viva Forever, Piccadilly Theatre, London - Preview

As you know I am a child of the 90s and I am a massive fan of The Spice Girls.

So imagine my delight when I heard many months ago that the legend that is Jennifer Saunders was writing a musical using their songs and it was being produced by Judy Craymer, the producer behind Mamma Mia. So far, so good.

Again imagine my delight when a friend told me her sister could get us preview tickets for the musical for only £35.

The show officially opens tomorrow but last Tuesday I was sat in the theatre watching it.

I have to admit as a massive Spice Girl fan I was a little nervous, worried it was going to be a re-hash or telling their story. When you listen to the songs they are little stories and I was worried the story wouldn't do the songs justice.

I won't give too much away but basically the story is set around Viva and her three friends who are a band. The enter a reality show (X-Factor style) however, their mentor decides that maybe Viva would be better on her own...

I will admit that I loved this musical. There is great humor  as you would expect from something written by Jennifer Saunders, the songs fit nicely into the story and don't seem forced. 

Obviously I saw a preview so the actual show maybe slightly different from the one I saw. However, I did get to see Jennifer and Judy who were watching in the audience, brilliant to see two greats in real life.

As you would expect the classics are in there Too Much, Wannabe, Say You'll be There and Who Do You Think You Are. Also included is Do It and Denying great Spiceworld album tracks.

My favourite though is Geri Halliwell's Look At Me it is made for a musical.

It also has a great cast Viva is played by Hannah John-Kamen, who is making her debut. Her voice is amazing. Other cast members include comedian Lucy Montgomery who you may recognise from Absolutely Fabulous, The Might Boosh and Tittybangbang; Simon Slater;  Sally Dexter; Sally Ann Triplett who was in Mamma Mia; Tamara Wall who played Martina in Eastenders and was the original Brooke in Legally Blonde.

If you are a Spice Girls fan you will love this musical it is all about Girl Power - love and friendship. If you hate the Spice Girls maybe give it a miss. I cannot wait to see it again with my mum and sisters.


No comments:

Post a Comment