Wednesday 27 February 2013

The Big Reunion, The Hammersmith Apollo, London, Tuesday, February 22

I am a 90s child, but didn't get the opportunity to see many of the bands that I loved such as Take That, the Spice Girls, Steps, Blue and the fantastic Five. However, in the past few years I have seen all the bands that I missed the first time around.

This leads to me the gig I went to last night. Anyone who watches ITV2 on a Thursday at 9pm will know that there is a certain programme called The Big Reunion.

It features bands that were huge in the 90s and early 00s charting their success, revealing how awful it was back in the day, why they split and also how they feel about each other. But also they are preparing for a big gig at Hammersmith.

The show has been on for a few weeks and hasn't finished yet, however, last night I went to the gig and it was absolutely brilliant!!

Featured in the show are 911, B*Witched, Atomic Kitten (with Kerry Katona not Jenny Frost), Liberty X, The Honeyz, and Five. They all performed last night with the added extra of Blue, still not entirely sure why.

The way they performed was excellent they all came out and did one or two songs and then the next act came out so it wasn't one long set for 20 minutes from each band, which I think worked really well.

Now I will start with the band that I loved and was most looking forward to seeing, they were also the first act out... 5ive, well Four minus J. They came out to We Will Rock You and the room went crazy.

It was fantastic, the atmosphere and you genuinely felt as if the boys were loving every second of being back on the stage to screaming girls, well women.

They did Everybody Get Up, If Ya Getting Down and Keep On Movin' pulling out the old dance moves. They were phenomenal and although I wish I had seen them back in the day I'm glad I saw them last night. I just hope now they do their own Five tour.

Atomic Kitten were the ones I was most interested in seeing as everyone seems to know about Kerry's troubles but they were really good as well, they did See Ya, Tide is High and Whole Again, which ended the show.

The only song Kerry looked a little awkward on, I think, was Tide is High but then that is the only one out of the ones they performed she didn't do the first time around. Everyone screamed when Kerry sang almost giving her the ego boost she needed.

B*Witched looked and sounded amazing, you could see they were loving the opportunity to perform again and Keavy and Edele Lynch had their very famous brother Shane from Boyzone in the crowd. Giving them his seal of approval.

Back in the day I liked 911 but wasn't huge fan but after seeing the show I have developed a little crush on Lee. Bodyshakin' really got the crowd going and Spike's body shake certainly didn't tame the crowd.

The Honeyz sounded amazing but I think their songs were a little too slow to keep the crowd up.

I was looking forward to seeing Liberty X again as I saw them when they first came out, but they seemed the least into it. No little looks to each other just performing. Kevin's voice though was brilliant, better than I remembered it being.

Now for the act last to the list... Blue. You can tell they have carried on performing as they were so polished, they knew their routines and sung perfectly. They did seem a little taken aback at the response but then Blue were huge. They sung All Rise, One Love and Sorry seems to be the Hardest Word.

The audience were fantastic and so was the venue. Small enough that you could see the bands clearly. We were sat just behind the family and friends section who had the whole front blocks of the dress circle. It was a little funny though as you could tell who was for which band, as when that band came on the whole section stood up and then sat back down again when they went off.

It was full of celebs though Keith Lemon, Matt Edmondson and the guy who used to the own The Hotel in the channel four show probably loads more that I didn't spot.

I am so glad I went and loved every second. I am still in love Five and my 90s crush on Scott is still burning bright.

All the acts performed really well and it felt like being back in the 90s either at a Smash Hits gig or Power in Portsmouth.

I'm in two minds about the tour as last night was fantastic and not sure if the tour will live up to it, will just have to wait and see.

I am so glad I am a 90s child and so glad I got to see the amazing bands last night.

Oh I forgot to say Andi Peters, from the broom cupboard. presented. Really going back to the old days and he was great.

Just got to see now if I made it onto the show. It will be broadcast on March 28.


 
Five
 
 
B*Witched
 
 
911
 
 
 
All the bands on stage
 

No comments:

Post a Comment