Thursday 19 September 2013

Meditation in a modern world

Most people on a Friday night are going out for meals or getting ready for a night of clubbing, the other week I went to a meditation class.

My boyfriend and I went along to a class in Chichester called 'putting problems into perspective'.

It was from 6.30pm until 8pm and I'm not going to lie I was very dubious and very nervous. I actually stressed myself out quite a lot just thinking about it, so I really needed it to work.

The talk was held by Gen Kelsang Lekma who explained first what the class was about and also the process. The class was actually quite full which surprised me.

When we started the first meditation block you get relaxed, sit straight hands together, thumbs lightly touching, close your eyes and Gen talks you through it. You breathe out any worries and stresses you have through black smoke and then you breathe in white light - everything positive.

I felt really good afterwards, it is a bit like when you have a massage or beauty treatment and are left in the room, being able to empty your mind and relax it just is a fantastic feeling.

We also did a second mediation but it didn't really work for me, it was about compassion and as good as it was, I came to realise that I am quite compassionate already and didn't really think it opened my mind. 

I have always believed 'everything happens for a reason' as hard as it is at the time it will work out in the end, which helped me during meditation.

When I got home I felt lighter and my mind was so much clearer. I wasn't really a beliver before in mediation but after the other week I can see how once a week or every day it can help you.

We are going again so lets see how good it is second time around but to clear your mind and just de-stress I can't recommend it enough. 

Here's the website http://www.thekchencentre.org/chichester

No comments:

Post a Comment