Tuesday 17 September 2013

The 5:2 diet

I have never been one for diets. I hate the thought of not having things, as soon as I know I can't have something to eat my mind instantly starts thinking about it and I want it - no to chocolate, I want a chocolate bar.

Therefore my weight has fluctuated over the years. I lost a lot when I was about 18 but mainly through going out all the time, drinking and not really eating not great to be honest.
As well when you are in a relationship your weight does go a bit, feeling comfortable with your partner or eating the same portions as him again not ideal.

In the past year I have been running and lost quite a bit of chubbiness but feel as my body becomes more used to running my weight-loss has stopped but I still feel as if I have a stone or so to lose. I have started running three times  a week, what with the Great South Run coming up, and I also do piloxing once a week, where you can burn up to 900 calories. But still I need an extra push.

So I stumbled across the 5:2 diet/lifestyle. A type of starvation however two days a week you only eat 500 calories, but the joy of this is that you eat whatever you want the rest of the week, want a chocolate bar? Go ahead. Glass of wine? Sure why not! It is two days of pain but the next day you can eat what you want.

Unless starvation your body doesn't store the fat in a panic but eats at it to break it down.

I have been doing it for about four weeks now, it isn't easy, I do feel hungry and it sometimes feels difficult getting out of a habit of eating three meals a day, or eating at designated time hungry or not.

It is getting easier but it is amazing how many calories things have in them. I tend to eat two meals a day deepening on my day on piloxing days I don't get back until 9 and don't fancy dinner so have breakfast and a big lunch, but most days I do breakfast and dinner and go for a walk at lunch.

You can have black tea or coffee, or herbal teas and water which don't count on your calorie intake.

But since coming back from Jamaica (6 weeks) I have lost 10 pounds, which probably isn't too surprising as I ate so much but I like to think that 5:2 is aiding this and really is isn't so bad.

I will keep you updated with my progress but top tip dried egg noodles from M&S only 80 calories!! Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment