Wednesday 26 May 2010

Sex and the City

Sex and the City, women love it, and most men just put up with it for an easy life. The second movie is out on Friday and I cannot contain my excitement, so much so when I saw the trailer in the cinema I let out a squeal.

I remember watching the series with my Mum, which is a little strange when I think the first series came out in 1998 and I was 12. I own the box sets now and the last three series are by far my favourite, which I put down to two things, one: I was about 15/16 when it was first aired and two: a lot less sex! I'm not a prude but at times some of it was a little cringey.

I am a massive die hard Sex and the City fan, and I do wonder if the fact that I want to be a writer is due to some deep down desire to be Carrie Bradshaw, she gets paid to write, gets to write for Vogue and has a closet to die for, her shoes alone are enough. I must quickly point out here that I love writing and I'm not that shallow........ :)

There is also the fifth character, New York City, a city that when you visit it you fall in love with it. It is glamorous and like walking on a movie set.

I also love that all four of the women are successful in what they do and to a large degree independent. They show that women can be who they want and (in the case of Samantha) have who they want. You seem to forget also that the series dealt with serious issues; Samantha got breast cancer, Charlotte was told she couldn't have children, we saw deaths, marriages and births. At its core it has four women who are great friends and always there for each other, something I think every girl needs.

The first Sex and the City film surpassed all my expectations, it showed Carrie and Big getting married, my Mum hated that she loves Aidan and is very excited about the fact that he is in the new film. And Charlotte had a baby, I nearly cried. It's sad but you feel as if you have gone through a journey with these girls, you've seen their highs and lows, relationship make ups and break ups. You feel they are a part of your life as you may have turned to certain episodes to help you through your relationship problems.

I read the book by Candace Bushell and to be honest it was ok, if you enjoyed the pilot episode you will probably like it, but if you like the format of the subsequent episodes give it a miss. I didn't really get a feel for the characters and there are a lot more than the central four that feature. I would suggest reading it but don't expect the series.

So Friday I am going to see SATC 2 and I cannot wait, I'm then going to see it again with my Mum for old times’ sake and I know if she misses out on seeing Aidan on the big screen she will kill me! Let’s get the killer heels and cosmopolitans out and raise a toast to the girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment