Sunday 1 May 2011

Music makes the world go round

Music, you sing to it, you dance to it, you talk about it. No matter what type you like everyone likes some sort of music. You can go to a foreign country and a song will come on and you may not speak the same language but you can both sing and dance along to a Take That song.

I love music, songs can evoke such powerful feelings, the one you danced with on your girly holiday (Outkast Hey ya and Britney Toxic, Dublin '04) or the one your Mum danced to in the kitchen. They can help you through break ups or break downs. A song can make you smile or make you cry and there is nothing better than music while getting ready for a night out.

My boyfriend, I would say, has a very cool taste in music. He loves The Beatles, Bob Dylan, new indie bands and bands such as Deer Tick or The Rifles, as well as some bands you have never heard but are equally brilliant. If you flick through his iPod you get song after song of amazing tracks (although some are a little depression, I love Joy Division but can be a bit of a downer). I think he is a connoisseur of music and I don't think there is a dud song on his iPod, just don't tell him I said that.

My musical tastes are very varied. I was told by my mum who borrowed my iPod that if she didn't know me she would think I was a gay man, due to the amount of Kylie, Showtunes and Glee I had on there. My boyfriend can't understand how I can have songs like Bring the Light by Beady Eye, and bands such as Blondie and The Courteeners along songs by Katy Perry, Kylie and the Spice Girls. My iPod I know is very random, a bit like me. I love listening to Bonkers by Dizzee Rascal at the gym, or Kylie before a night out. If I am driving in the sun I whack on a bit of The Jacksons, or if I am in a bit of a mood Bloc Party.

I suppose I do have bands I like but sometimes I just like songs, if a song has a strong guitar I will probably like it. If a song sounds like a great dance track (LMFAO Party Rock Anthem), or just something I can sing my heart out to I will usually love it.

If you have read my blog before you will be able to tell I am a gig junkie, so if a song sounds amazing live or the song it self sounds like and has the vibe of being live, I will love it. I know it sounds strange but some songs I just love and I don't know why.

I will admit outright I am a very poppy girl, I love cheesy tunes and as you know Kylie is my icon but if a song has a strong guitar, emotional lyrics or a fit front man... I'm there!

No comments:

Post a Comment