Sunday 11 September 2011

I Heart New York

Today is the tenth anniversary of the awful 9/11 attacks.




I remember it quite clearly, walking home from school hearing that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre, not quite knowing what building it was, I had heard of the twin towers but I suppose I never knew their 'official' name.


When I got home I turned on the TV to be greeted with the Twin Towers smoking and a ablaze. I also saw the second plane hit, it was just.... you can't describe it, seeing something like that unfold in front of you. Just chaos and debris. Loss of innocent life, people jumping out of the building thinking that is the best way, their way.


Anyway, I don't want to dwell on this but talk about my love for one of the best cities in the world.


I visited New York in 2004 with my mum. The flight was ok, and we got a mini bus thing to the hotel with a bunch of German people.


The hotel we were staying at was next to the Empire State Building, so every morning when I opened the curtains I could see the magnificent Empire State Building.


Walking through Central Park and Times Square was like walking through a film set, they are sights that you have seen in your favourite TV shows and films but are unbelievable when you see them in real life.


I will admit that most of it was little smaller that I was expecting but still amazing. On our first day after being awake for over 14 hours me and my mum went up the Empire State, barely talking to each other but we were told by the hotel receptionist that it was going to rain so it would be better to go up there that day. We got into a lift crammed full up to the observation deck made famous by King Kong, but although we were tired and grouchy when we got there and our first proper view of the city from above and I was not disappointed.


We did the usual touristy things, saw the Statue of Liberty, went on a carriage around Central Park, had dinner in Ellen's Stardust Diner (http://ellensstardustdiner.com/) where they sing while you eat, I got Mack the Knife...it was ok a little embarrassing as you try to eat your burger. One of the funniest things though is going in to the Art Deco beauty that is the Chrysler building, we didn't know you couldn't go up so literally walked around the lobby and back out.


We also caught a Broadway show, we saw 42nd Street, a proper New York musical from the 30s, and it was amazing.


There were also visits to the brilliant Macy's, Harvey Nichols and Bloomingdales. Didn't take advantage of the good dollar-pound ratio back then, wish we had. We bought socks in Bloomingdales just so we could get a little brown bag.


I would love to go back to New York at Christmas; films like Elf, set in New York make me feel warm and fuzzy during my favourite time of year. I have only been once but that was enough to truly captivate me and make me fall head over heels in love with it.


So on this day, we should all remember those lost and the fantastic city they loved as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment