Thursday 8 September 2011

Mini break Looe, Cornwall, in August

Any other year you think a trip away to Cornwall at the end of August would be sunny and hot, loads of surfers, and loads of people on the beach. You would think wouldn't you? But we live in England so it was wet and damp, warm though.

Getting over the weather fact though it was a very nice break away in a very nice part of the country.

We were away for two nights and stayed at The Old Bridge House, which was lovely. Really nice atmosphere and Colin and Liz who owned it were lovely very helpful recommending some local places to eat. Which were highly recommended and the ones we went to were spot on. The breakfast was delicious, it was Cornish breakfast, which has everything a English breakfast but with hogs pudding. Sausage meat with herbs and garlic it was delicious. The room was spacious and we had a really good view over the harbour. There was also a honesty bar, where you put the drinks to your room number and paid when you left, great selection and they didn't have prices that ripped you off.

Looe is full of cobbled streets, lined with mostly independent shops, and little snug pubs. As the weather was not great we got to experience a lot of the of the pubs and cafes.

I threw myself into local produce, especially the fish. Whilst there I tried Orchard cider, it was a flat cider, really nice though I had never tried flat cider but I was surprised at the taste and that it didn't make me feel bloated.

I had a Cornish crab sandwich, really delish and it was only £4 but filled to the brim. Also of course a proper Cornish pasty, real meat and real veg and proper pastry. You cannot get a proper pasty anywhere else but Cornwall, that's a fact.... well that's what I think.

The beach was lovely and sandy, but as it was cold empty. I sat on the beach in my coat and wellies while my boyfriend took a dip in the freezing cold sea, turning his legs blue. I had to admire his courage though.

Our first meal was in the Old Sally, a little pub, with a low ceiling, oak beams and tables a little close together. Comfy and homely, also cheap for drinks, but I had a lamb hotpot, while my boyfriend had a steak and ale pie. The lamb was tender, with veg cooked to perfection, potatoes and melted cheese, it was mouthwatering just thinking of it makes me feel hungry. Fantastic value for money and a great atmosphere.

On our last night we went, on recommendation from B&B owner, we went to fish restaurant Mawgans. There was a menu of different items but also a specials board of fish caught the night before. I opted for John Dory in asparagus and white wine sauce, I had never had John Dory before so thought I would give it a go. When they brought the dish out the veg was separate and I did have a mild panic it was just the fish. But the fish was succulent and tender and just melt in the mouth, you could tell the fish was cooked by someone who knows how to cook fish and you could tell it was fresh. We have a bottle of wine and as a treat shared a pud called chocolate indulgence, it was very indulgent. The bill was probably a little more than we would usually pay but well worth it as the fish was the best I have ever had.

Another tip if you don't want to walk over the bridge from West to East Looe, you can get a boat for 40p. Very quick and easy. Also parking there is a car park where you can park all day for £4 bargain!

Even thought the weather was not great the mini break was. The B&B felt like a home from home, the food was the best I have ever had. So for those not able to go abroad then I recommend Looe. So for time away got to Looe.

Useful websites:
http://www.mawgans.co.uk/
http://www.theoldbridgehousehotel.co.uk/
http://www.looe.org/

The Hotel (cream building)

The beach

Looe

No comments:

Post a Comment