Tuesday 9 July 2013

Hard Rock Calling, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London, June 2013

This may have been a long time in the making but at the end of June I was over the moon to have had the chance to go to the Olympic Park or as the part I went to is now called the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. 

The reason I went there, Hard Rock Calling, which left Hyde Park and has now pitched up in the park. 

The first band we managed to catch were Irish band Kodaline, who were so good and even surprised my boyfriend who was convinced they were going to be like The Script. I loved High Hopes and the beautiful All I Want.

The headliners for the event were Kasabian who played a 2 hour set and were worth the £55 tickets price alone. Alongside crowd favourites LSF, Shoot the Runner and Fire, they also played Fatboy Slim's Praise You and The Korgis' Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes which was hauntingly beautiful. 

I have seen Kasabian twice before and they know how to work the audience in smaller venues but were masters of the crowd of around 45,000. It could have easily been their own concert. 

 The main stage was situated near the velodrome, which looked as if a spaceship had crash landed as the sun set behind it. 

Overall there were three stages - The Pepsi Max and Hard Rock Rising which had new acts and people like Gaz Coombes from Supergrass and Steve Cradock from Ocean Colour Scene who I heard briefly on my way to the toilet. 

The Pepsi Max stage was great and featured The Twang, The View and The Tribes. The Tribes were quite good and the boyfriend suggested that we check them out, we stayed for about twenty minutes of their set before catching the end of Miles Kane on the main stage. 

In between bands we also managed to catch a few songs by The Cribs, which was great and a brilliant warm up as I am planning to see them at the Victorious Festival in Portsmouth in August. Miles Kane rocked it in all white and we heard him perform Come Closer, Inhaler and the amazing Give Up which sounded phenomenal. 

 After him was the Modfather Paul Weller, who even though he only played for about an hour filled it with hit after hit - The Changing Man and That's Entertainment. 

 I have seen Weller twice before and always had to leave before the end so have never seen him perform Town Called Malice. This time we were there and when the opening chords started the whole field erupted and everyone was dancing their heart out, including me and my boyfriend. Paul Weller did not disappoint. 

 For food we had a pulled pork sandwich from Barbeco Jamie Oliver stand, it was delicious and was only about £6. Quite good value for money as there was a lot and I couldn't eat it all. 

 However, the drinks were quite expensive, soft drinks were £2.50 and considering how hot it was there was the chance people could have gone through quite a bit. Also my boyfriend didn't manage to have a cold, refreshing pint as the queues for the bar was ridiculous.

Overall though I loved being at the park and watching these amazing bands, if they are this good next year at the same price I will be there. 

 And while I remember we got to walk right past the Olympic Stadium and the strange red looking thing. The stadium is huge and it is hard to believe that this time last year the Olympics were about to kick off and the park was buzzing with people everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment