Friday 5 July 2013

Jersey Boys, Prince Edward Theatre, London, June 2013

I went to see Jersey Boys as part of a hen-do, probably not the usually musical hens go to but it is one I have never seen before so I was actually looking forward to it.

I had also heard a lot of good things about the musical, apparently it is David Beckham's favourite, if it good enough for him I was sure it would be good enough for me.

For anyone who has never seen it, or even heard of it, Jersey tells the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons during the 60s, a New Jersey band made up of boys from the wrong side of the tracks who invented their own unique sound and were inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame. They have also sold 100 million records worldwide

As far as sets go it is pretty sparse and uses a lot of Roy Lichtentstein pictures, which I loved. 

Now I went into this not really thinking I knew any Four Seasons songs, how wrong was I.

The production includes - Beggin' which was used as a sample by Madcon in 2007; Can't Take My Eyes Off You, Oh What A Night, Walk Like a Man, Bye Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye) and Big Girls Don't Cry to name a few. I was singing and dancing to songs thinking - I know this!

It also made me want to go and back the Four Seasons back catalogue. 

Ryan Molloy plays Frankie Valli and has done so for a number of years, he was excellent going from the young, naive 16-year-old to showman.

All the cast was so good and it really made me want to find out a bit more about the band.

I can see why people love it and there definitely were some fans in the audience. I for one would love to see it again.

I saw it at the Prince Edward Theatre, where it has been for five years, and sat up in the upper circle, which was a little scary at first but when the show started it was the last thing on my mind I was so enthralled by the musical I completely forgot where I was sitting.

From March it will be in the Piccadilly Theatre as Viva Forever has now closed.

 
If you want a nostalgic, feel good musical, although there is a little gritty drama thrown in, set in the 60s and full of loads of songs you will know go to Jersey Boys you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment