Wednesday 16 June 2010

Holiday!

Everyone loves a holiday, luckily this year I am going away twice. A couple of weeks ago I went away with my boyfriend for a long weekend in Stockholm, one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited.


My boyfriend and his friends had the bright idea of doing the marathon there... again! Something I have no desire to do, but they are amazing to watch. The crowd really get behind the runners and I can’t explain the feeling of pride and excitement when you see the people you know running past you or crossing the finish line.

I have been to Stockholm twice and it is just amazing, the architecture, the people and the Swedish meatballs with lingon berry sauce are enough to make me want to go there again, however, there is one drawback it is so expensive. I think I heard someone say the tax is quite high, which is one of the reasons why it is so clean but as a tourist you can’t believe how much stuff is over there, and alcohol has a very high tax.
I would recommend that everyone visit Stockholm at some point and make sure you do the following:

• Fly to Stockholm Arlanda airport it is 20-35 minutes from the city centre, whereas the other airport is a hour and a half coach trip (on a good day)

• If you are not a veggie try the meatballs, with mash and lingon berries it is delicious! So much so I am no desperate to get some lingon berry jam, apparently you can get it from Ikea

• Visit the old town, lovely restaurants and modestly priced

• For beer drinkers they don’t serve pints the most they serve is 44cl, and if you ask for a small beer be careful my boyfriend asked for one and it was tiny, less than half a pint

• In June take your sun cream as it gets hot!

• If you can afford it stay at the Story Hotel (www.storyhotels.com), a gorgeous boutique hotel with a shabby chic feel to it

• Get the tube, if you are under 20 than you get it cheaper.

Not a definitive travel guide but some things I have picked up on and if it helps one person than I’m happy.

My second holiday is to Menorca, and is at the beginning of July. I cannot wait; our hotel is on the beach and away from the touristy hustle and bustle, pure bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment