Friday 11 June 2010

I just don't know what to do with myself...

Why is it when you were younger everything seemed so simple. Decisions were either straight forward or taken out of your hands. The most challenging decisions you had to make were what to have for your lunch, who your best friend was or what GCSEs to take.

At the moment I find myself at a cross roads. Last August I, along with my whole department, was told that our jobs were being off-shored and we were being made redundant. Now ten months later and D-day approaches, I have to decide/ figure out what I’m going to do next.

Throughout my life I have always pretty much known what my next step was going to be. When I was 13 I decided I wanted to be a writer/ journalist, so what GCSEs, A-Levels and Degree I needed to do followed suit (Media and Film Studies). I didn’t leave my first part time job until I had a full time one ready to start, and when I went for an interview at my current employer I knew I was going to work for them, just something in me knew that this was the company I was going to work for.

Now I have no clue what my next step will be. Do I stay with my current company? Or try and get paid for my writing? Security or the unknown? Do I follow my head or my heart? That’s the dilemma! I would love to be a professional writer but I know it won’t be easy, but then I think if not now when? I don’t have any real financial ties – I don’t own a house or have a mortgage, I don’t have any kids or anything, so isn’t now the ideal time to throw caution into the wind and do what I want? Or does the green eyed beast (money) raise its head, making my stomach lurch at the thought of having no money, but then would it pay off in the long run if I can get my big break?!

It makes me feel very frustrated, I’m usually very decisive if I want something I do it, but now I’m torn! The only thing I do know for certain is that interesting times are ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment