Thursday 6 January 2011

Icons: "I never think of myself as an icon. What is in other people's minds is not in my mind. I just do my thing."- Audrey Hepburn



Icon is defined in the Oxford Dictionary as the following: 

                  Noun
1 (also ikon) a devotional painting of Christ or another holy figure, typically executed on wood and used ceremonially in the Byzantine and other Eastern Churches.
2 a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration: this iron-jawed icon of American manhood

3 Computing a symbol or graphic representation on a screen of a program, option, or window.
4 Linguistics a sign that has a characteristic in common with the thing it signifies, for example the word snarl pronounced in a snarling way. 
(http://oxforddictionaries.com)


Now, I am a massive fan of iconic women, I have shelves of books about interesting women that have done something in the world or been a fleeting popular culture icon.

Over the decades there have been a whole host of iconic women, including: Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn, Queen Victoria, another who I have a biography waiting to be read, Coco Chanel, Oprah Winfrey, Cleopatra, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Amelia Earhart, Edie Sedgwick and Billie Holiday to name a few. As well as I think my idol Kylie Minogue, Madonna and of course Lady Gaga. All of which have contributed to society or popular culture, or changed people’s perspectives on issues.

I have countless books on Marilyn Monroe, her short life fascinates me. Every book I read highlights a new area that I have never seen before or a new fact that has recently come to light. Some might argue that she is not an icon but a blonde bimbo who didn't have a clue what she was doing, but the fact she was known as a dizzy blonde with a curvy body that women imitated surely highlights her iconic status. She is someone who is referred to as an inspiration for artists or actors. Also the fact that if you dig a little deeper you realise that she was not a dizzy blonde but a very smart woman who wanted a career on her own terms.

Before she died she was in the process of starting up her own production company so that she could be seen as a serious actress rather than a comedy piece of fluff. In a savvy and potentially dangerous move, she had it added to her contract that she could ask for script changes and choose the films and the directors she worked with. Something that was unheard of in the Hollywood studio system, which saw actors tied into contracts with one studio doing as they were told.

In a time when women were largely seen as either sex goddess or homely wife, with not much in between, Marilyn Monroe was trying desperately to push these boundaries to give herself a better life. As she said "An actress is not a machine, but they treat you like one, money making machine."

I have said in a previous post how I am reading a biography on Jackie Kennedy Onassis, another woman who is seen as an icon of her time, but to be honest I can see why she was a fashion icon but reading the book I am on the fence. I haven't finished it yet so I suppose I should wait but Jackie Kennedy is not what I was expecting, the book implies she knew of Kennedy's indiscretions and seemed more concerned with spending money on doing up the White House. Although on foreign visits she seemed to shine, getting on with foreign prime ministers and kings but other than that I'm not sure.

I suppose in many ways she became more of an icon after the death of her husband as this gave her the opportunity to step out of his shadow. So for now I'm undecided but will let you know what I think when I have finished the book.

It makes me wonder looking at the definition if all these women are icons. It does make you question the term, they all represent a time and a place, but then I suppose it's not the definition that counts but what the women did that matters. As long as people are still interested, reading up on or making films about them they are icons, especially if they influence future generations. 









No comments:

Post a Comment