Sunday 23 January 2011

Is there such a thing as an easy relationship?

Relationships are hard, people say that if they are meant to be it will be easy, but this is not always the case. When two people from different lives come together, there are bound to be (at some point) tensions. No matter how compatible you feel you are, there will be times when you get stressed and take it out on that one person who you wish you didn't.


When I say relationships, I don't just mean those between you and your partner, but those with your friends and family. Every relationship has to have time spent on it, building up a trust and code that only you two know. It needs time to grow and you have to make an effort. They need to know that you will be there in their time of need and in return they will be there for you.


I think sometimes, people put more time and effort into their friendships as friends you don't always see. Whereas your partner you sometimes take for granted, as you assume they will always be there, but like friends these people are with you by choice and can leave whenever they want.


Recently I have come to appreciate the relationships in my life.


I have been with my boyfriend for over 5 years and recently it has been a little tense. Mainly because we were both thinking the same thing but not willing to be the one to bring it up. We had started taking each other for granted and not appreciating what we have. However, after a shaky, not very well thought out 'confrontation' we had the opportunity to talk it out and things have changed for the better. We have recaptured that feeling we had when we first met, the romance, the excitement and the new-ness, that makes me feel like I did when we first started seeing each other. Not only that we have opened the honesty door and feel we can say anything without fear of upsetting each other.
Due to the shaky, not very well thought out 'confrontation', I have come to appreciate a lot more my wonderful friends. My group of close knit girl pals came to my rescue with pizza, glee and words of comfort that made me think how great they are and how lucky I am to have them. I also got to see new friends in a new light, that really helped being able to talk to someone a little on the outside that was able to give amazing advice.


Like all things in life relationships need to be nurtured and you have to appreciate that you have to make time for the special people in your life. Who knows when you will need them or when they will need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment