Sunday 30 January 2011

Spectacular! Spectacular!

On Friday I was lucky enough to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert the musical again, the second time in the past six months. This musical is one of the best I have ever seen; you can't help but feel good when you walk out of the theatre at the end.




Based on the 1994 Australian film starring Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce and Terence Stamp (http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi8978713/), it follows three drag queens as they travel from Sydney to Alice Springs. Priscilla is just one of the best musicals, not for everyone but amazing none the less, I love it. It was a bit touch and go at one point though when the bus broke down but it was only a minor hitch. Ben Richards is so good as Tick, he has an amazing voice. When we saw it this time they had Alf from Home and Away as Bob. All the actors are amazing and work really hard it is just a fantastic show.


The way I feel after I've seen Priscilla is the same as when I saw Hairspray you can't help but be dancing out of the aisles with a massive smile on your face.


I love musicals, I have seen many on stage including Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Grease and Sister Act, to name but a few. On stage musicals are just fantastic, the films are great but you can beat watching someone on stage singing their hearts out to a packed out theatre.


My love of musicals started young, from Disney to my all time favourite The Wizard of Oz. You can beat the musicals from the Hollywood golden era, you can say a lot about MGM but they knew how to do an amazing musical. As much as I love the classics there have been some fantastic new ones Moulin Rouge, was a cinematic treat, so opulent and colourful after each song I had to stop myself clapping away in the cinema.


Over Christmas I saw Burlesque, which although it didn't receive very good reviews I thought it was fantastic. The songs were all written for the film and were great, I suppose the fact that Christina Aguilera was the music producer probably had something to do with that.
There have been musicals that have left me a little flat, I saw the film Rent and wasn't convinced. Although I did see a DVD of the last ever Broadway performance and thought that was a lot better. Fame I have seen twice on stage and the classic film but I thought it was just strange. It doesn't really have a story and although the songs are good, the story isn't.


The only problem I have now is what to see next. Dirty Dancing? Ghost? Mamma Mia? Or The Lion King? Decisions, decisions...... but then again there is always Priscilla.




No comments:

Post a Comment