Tuesday 6 December 2011

Thank you for the music

Music can evoke memories, conjure up happy or sad feelings or transport you back to a time and place.

Sometimes you don't realise how important music is in your life, be it that song you sing at the top of your voice when you need an ego boost or the song you dance to when getting ready for a night out.

There are songs that remind you of first loves, exes, holidays or gigs.

I do love my music but I don't think I really realised how important it is and how it can have an impact on my mood. So in a short post I thought I would put down some songs that are important to me.

I suppose I should start with the song that made me want to write this post... Scott Mills played The Futureheads 'Hounds of Love' on his Wonder Years on Radio 1 the other day...this was a song I bought because the guy I was seeing liked it and it reminded me of him. Now it reminds me of him, when he broke my heart for the last time (after six or seven good gos) I decided I hated the stupid song, so I did what any rational person would do, I smashed it with a hammer, it was  CD by the way. It felt good though believe me.

Then there is Outkast 'Hey Ya', I love, love, love this song! It reminds me of my first (and only) girly holiday to Dublin, it came on in a club called Q I think, it was an amazing night out and an amazing holiday. Britney Spears 'Toxic' brings back the same memories.

Anything Spice Girls reminds me of my childhood days, especially 'Spice up Your Life' which I remember going to my friend's grans house before school to watch the premiere of the video, we were subsequently late for school, well worth it. Me and my friend even had a band which sung Spice Girl's covers, fantastic. Aaahh those were the days.

Then gigs...my first gig was Boyzone, I know! But now Kylie Minogue 'Love at First Sight' obviously reminds me of meeting the great lady and being on cloud 9 dancing to it. And of course 'Vlad the Impaler' reminds me of the fantastic Kasabian gig in Brighton.

I will admit that I don't go out as much as I used but there are songs now that when I hear them it reminds me of those days J-Kwon 'Tipsy' reminds me of a shots bar, which I was sick in but that's by the by. 'Golddigger' by Kayne I can remember dancing with my friend.

And then there are the songs that make my heart melt because they remind me of that special someone in my life... like Elbow 'One Day Like This' is just one.

Its like when I hear the instrumental version of 'Kissing You' from Romeo and Juliet I burst into tears, it reminds me of my friends wedding.

I know it's silly but music is one of those things and I felt compelled to write about my love of music.

So to all bands and singers Thank you for the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment