Sunday 18 November 2012

Hollywood Costume Exhibition - V&A London

I love my films so when I saw that the V&A, my favourite museum, had an exhibition of Hollywood Costumes I got on the internet and booked tickets straight away.

It was simply amazing the costumes they have on show include some of the most recognisable costumes through the history of film.

Over 100 of the most iconic costumes from across the century of film-making.

It was mesmerising two dresses from Gone with the Wind - two Scarlett O'Hara dresses which were beautiful. Indiana Jones' iconic outfit was slightly different from what I was expecting but instantly recognisable.

I was surprised just how small some of the stars were, Robert DeNiro was very narrow and short, Russell Crowe's Gladiator suit was also smaller than I was expecting.

There were costumes from Matrix, Twilight: New Moon, Moulin Rouge, Chicago and Atonement. Just so many that it is hard to recount them all.

My favourites include a Marilyn Monroe dress from Some Like It Hot, which was just beautifully made.

The black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's was really simple and if not made by Givenchy and worn by Audrey Hepburn would not be that amazing but the fact it is makes it breathtaking.

The two major pulls of the exhibition are THE white dress from The Seven Year Itch, which looks quite small when you think Marilyn was meant to be a size 14 and also I never realised that it has a bow on the band.

The other is Dorothy's dress from The Wizard of Oz worn by Judy Garland. It was quite small and very prim, nothing special but like the Holly Golightly  dress what it was in and who wore it madke it amazing. It also had two pairs of ruby slippers a replica pair and also the actual pair. Now The Wizard of Oz is my all time favourite film and I was a little disappointed in the slippers but also a little fascinated. They are covered in sequins I don't know what I was expecting though, actual rubys.

One of  best costumes I think is the black ballerina outfit worn by Natalie Portman in Black Swan, I didn't really like the film but the craftsmanship and detail in that dress makes it look beautiful.

My one criticism though is in relation to the Batman, Catwoman, Superman and Spiderman outfits. They were placed high up so you couldn't really get a good look at them something I would love to have done to the Batman outfit from The Dark Knight Rises.

The exhibition is on until January 27 for more information check out http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-hollywood-costume/ if you love films you will love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment