Monday 27 December 2010

Christmas past, presents and future.

I always seem to do well at Christmas, I get quite spoilt but I appreciate what I receive and love it.




It all started when I was younger. Me, my mum and sisters used to stay at my Gran’s, along with my aunty and cousin. I think my mum felt as if she had to compete with my aunty who always bought my cousin loads, more often than not far too much for a young child to take in, so I think my mum felt as if she had to get me and my sisters loads as well. Obviously as the years have gone on we do get less presents than we used to, we stay at home now so there is no competition, also we are older and wiser, but we still get a lot more than most people. This year was no different, I got loads of cds, books and dvds.


If you had read this blog at all in December you will know that I love Christmas. Not because I get loads of presents, I love the whole day, I love giving presents, seeing people's faces when they receive that thing they have wanted since their birthday or a surprise gift that they go 'Oh my God! How did you know?'


I have spent six Christmases with my boyfriend and every year the presents he gets me are fantastic. In the past I have received a Swarovski necklace, Christian Louboutin shoes, a Thomas Sabo charm bracelet and a Marilyn Monroe framed poster.


This year I think he has surpassed all these with a gift which is well thought out and amazing. At first I was a little shocked, I may have seemed ungrateful, but when you really don't know what a present is and you open it and go..... 'eh?' it takes a little while for it to sink in but then it hits you: ‘this is a well thought out amazing present that pulls at the heart strings and is just amazing.’ So my main present this year from my fantastic boyfriend was a Imperial typewriter. It is one of those gifts that I will cherish forever.


I love the thought behind it; I am a trainee journalist, I love vintage especially the 40s and 50s. I am also a very inquisitive and love the story behind things; if I watch Antiques Road show I love the story behind the items.


So now I am looking for the story behind my typewriter. It says on it by appointment of the late King George V, which I googled and he died in 1936, so I know when abouts it is. I am going to see if it has a serial number on it, to trace its history. Now my search continues to see if this has come from a news room, something to do with the war or an office desk. How exciting even if there isn't a story I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment