Tuesday 14 December 2010

I am a Football Widow

Most girls like to think they are their boyfriends one and only love, however, this maybe the case at the beginning of the relationship, but after a certain point another love will raise its head, and you will find yourself sitting there on some afternoons or nights right next to him with his attention elsewhere, thinking of someone else. Or in my case 11 men, running around a field kicking a ball or as most people know it football.

Don't get me wrong I know my boyfriend loves me very much and would do anything for me, I also know that I have strong competition from Manchester United, who has been in a relationship with him since birth.

I do enjoy football and I know a lot about it. My dad used to work at Portsmouth Football club, where I used to go to games. I love watching live football the adrenalin, the atmosphere, it is immense. I enjoy watching my boyfriend play football, although I do get a little tense especially if there are any dodgy tackles, I have to stop myself running on the pitch and hitting the offending player.

But alas I am a football widow. If United are playing I have to sit on the side-lines, watching my boyfriend getting more and more agitated and annoyed if Nani or Anderson are mucking up passes (by being too slow or not passing at all). I see his body tense up when the opposition gets too close to the goal or Fletcher seems to think if he kicks it really hard he might break a habit of a lifetime and score a Rooney-esque wonder goal. And then I see him jump around with his dad like an idiot when they score, when two seconds before, for example, they were demanding Giggs should be subbed as he is crap and does nothing for the team, for him to score and be the best player in the world.

I do understand that he has to watch every United game. However, I do tend to lose it when he also has to watch every Liverpool or Chelsea game, just to see how they get on, you don't have to watch the whole 90 minutes though do you?? THAT IS WHAT MATCH OF THE DAY IS FOR!!

I love the theatre of football and find it very funny. All those men paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and yet one person breathes a little too heavy near them and they drop like they have been shot. Grabbing their leg, no their chest, sorry groin... because the pain must be so severe that it shoots all over their body, but then a free kick is awarded and it's a miracle they are not only up but can now can take said free kick.

It's not just football that leaves girls boyfriend-less but practically any sport, I have friends who are rugby, hockey or even running widows.

I can't complain too much as he isn't too bad and could be a lot worse. Also some of the footballers aren't bad to look at which helps a lot. However, when we have to re-arrange a lot of things because of the football that will probably be when I throw my toys out my pram Tevez style.

No comments:

Post a Comment