Wednesday 25 January 2012

90s TV - drama, aliens and a fresh prince

Although I was born in the eighties I do consider myself to be a nineties child.


All my memories are from the nineties - films, TV and music all stem from this decade.

So following on from my poptastic post I thought I would go on about the TV shows from the nineties that were simply amazing.


As you know I was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, still am I suppose, but I have declared my love for that one too many times on this blog.

Teen dramas: Before The OC, One Tree Hill and 90210 there was the teen drama Dawson's Creek, where 20 year olds played 16 year olds and they spoke in a way that you had no idea what they were talking about.


Dawson was a gentle soul and a film buff, his best friend Joey was pretty but didn't know it and was so shy but strong willed. Pacey was the loveable rouge and Jen was the new girl in town.



The show started the careers of James van der Beek, Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson and Michelle Williams and had teenagers talking in a way no teenager spoke.

There was angst and a love triangle, first Jen, Joey and Dawson and then Dawson, Joey and Pacey. I always wanted Joey and Pacey together and was over the moon when they did. It was a great show and went on for nine series'.
It looks a little corny now but it is still good and has so many movie references, I love the homage to the Breakfast Club episode, sheer brilliance.


Another teen drama was My So Called Life starring Claire Danes as Angela, a 15-year-old teenager debating her way through school, friends, boys and family.

Really clever and if you were a bit of an odd ball you could relate and even if you weren't you could relate.

It was really clever and a bit off the wall, her best friend was a gay guy who liked to wear make-up. It was dark and brooding but quite true to a teenage girls life.

A short lived sci-fi series was Roswell High, about three aliens who were left after the crash landing. One of them falls in love with a local teenager but has to keep their secret, secret. Only on for three series it starred the now mega-famous Katherine Heigl as one of the aliens.

There were great comedies Fresh Prince of Bel Air starring a very young Will Smith, Boy Meets World and Even Stevens starring Shia LaBeouf.

A creepy offering from the 90s was Eerie Indiana, only one series and 19 episodes but it was fantastic. Stories included a cash machine that made friends by giving him money, a woman who kept herself and her sons young by keeping them in Tupperware and a lost place where things became lost so people would buy more.

I remember this being on over the Summer holidays on channel 4 and was creepy but funny. Just brilliant.

The 90s series were only one or two series in places but were brilliant and not like anything we have today.
 
I love my 90s TV, there were loads of cartoons I loved as well but I will keep them for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment