Friday 10 February 2012

Knowing when to cut the friendship bracelets

This is something that, with having sisters, comes up a bit and is something I do find myself thinking about quite a lot as I get older.

When do you cut the friendship bracelets?

I don't mean literally as if you have any you have had since you were 11 and you are now 25 you probably should have done so a long time ago. They probably aren't very nice by now.

You see I mean figuratively. At different points in your life you make friends and then through no choice of your own over the years you may slowly lose contact with Facebook updates being your only method of knowing what they are up. For example I have friends from senior, infant and college that I don't see anymore, we just fell out of the same circles and although I can see them out and happily talk away I would never go out of my way to arrange something.

But then what do you do about the friends that you just don't see anymore?

I suppose the hardest decisions to make is for those friends who you still see but you have nothing in common with, or with those who never make the effort.

You know you should stay friends as you have years of memories and sometimes letting go is the hardest part but when you have nothing in common, how easy is it?

There are some people who I was really good friends with at University but when we left we realised the only thing we had in common was the fact we were on the course, so unfortunately we lost touch.

It is just hard, you don't want to lose friends but sometimes it just becomes too hard and too much hassle trying to stay friends. I have some I have known for years who a simple text sent a meet-up is arranged and when I see them it feels like yesterday but others it can be difficult just getting a reply.

I did lose a friend through different circumstances, but it does make me wonder if we were still talking I still don't think we would be friends we had nothing in common.

At the end of the day I suppose it is just sad, you like to think that you will be friends with your old friends forever, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. You would end a  relationships with a boyfriend if it wasn't working out, so why don't women do the same with their friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment