Tuesday 21 February 2012

Records, CDs or downloads? Which is best...

Many people probably don't remember vinyl and record players. I remember my dad, who was a DJ at parties and that, lugging his cases full of records and the hi-fi system we have in the early 90s with tape deck, CD player and record player all in one huge tower.

In the years since we have had mini discs (remember those? I never jumped on this particular band wagon), tapes, CDs and now of course the MP3 player and downloads.

Now I like music, I'm no big critic or anything like that, however, I must say one thing the sound quality of a record compared to a download or CD is far better and just sounds like they are there in the room.

My boyfriend is a massive music lover, he is always buying CDs and is obsessed with Bob Dylan, The Beatles and Joy Division. Last year he decided he wanted a record player, so me, his mum and dad clubbed together and bought him a Systemdek IIX from the 80s, he bought himself an amp and was donated a pair of speakers.

Then the search for records began, you will be surprised to learn that loads of charity shops have records for sale at quite good prices. He managed to get The Beatles 'Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Band' on vinyl for £2. Bargain! For Christmas he has got quite a few and I even bought Blondie 'Parallel Lines' from a place in Brighton.



Now the sound quality of albums like The Beatles, Blondie and Joy Division 'Unknown Pleasures' is just amazing. You can hear every note and chord played out in phenomenal surround sound. I can see why people become hooked and spend hundreds on systems and records, nothing really compares to vinyl.

I heard on the radio the other day that songs you download are actually compressed, as obviously high memory anyway they are compressed down to fit on your computer. However, a record has a limitless amount of space to some degree just as long as there is enough plastic to keep it on.

As I said I am no expert but believe me when I say vinyl maybe in the past but you should make it a part of the future. Even bands today like Kasabian and Noel Gallagher appreciate the quality by releasing their albums on vinyl as well as digital and CD, it is almost like seeing them live.

Try it and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment