Monday 6 February 2012

When I grow up I don't want to be like my parents

When I grow up I don't want to be like my parents


As we get older we hate people saying we are like our parents.

The other day I said to my mum that every day she gets more and more like my gran (her mum), to which she replied well if I'm more like her, it is only a matter of time before you get like me...NOOOOO!!!

But why no? Surely it is inevitable we are made up of the same genes so surely some traits will filter through and as you get older, you will pick up mannerisms from the people around you.

This came to me when I was walking to work and along the way, past a school loads of parents were taking their kids to school and it struck me how alike children are to their parents, without realising.

Some carry their bag the same as their mum, boys have the same cheeky grin as their dads and other have the same curly hair.

We hope we don't become like our parents, I think it is because we see things in them, the good, the bad and the ugly and hope that we don't become the same way.

The thing is I do have some good genes, my mum is 46 and my gran is 72 and they both don't look it.

But then my granddad is bald, and my hair comes out in quite a bit but I don’t think I will get bald.

There are traits that I don’t mind having like the sense of humour, and the compassion they have.

Other things though I don’t’ want they both really, really, really don’t like Carol Vorderman and Kate Winslet.

They tut a lot, and pull a face like sucked lemons.

I love my mum and gran but I hope I get the good traits not the annoying ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment