Monday 16 July 2012

When the Olympic Torch came to Portsmouth

Over the last couple of weeks the Olympic Torch has been weaving its way around the UK, and every day in the week I have heard Chris Moyles talk about torch cam on his show.

When I found out the torch was not only coming to Portsmouth twice but was coming on a Sunday I knew I had to go and see what all the fuss was about.

Portsmouth held an event on Southsea common, with performances from Twist and Pulse from Britain's Got Talent, local dance groups and Brighton band Rizzle Kicks. The band performed for about 15 minutes until the torch came in at 6.55pm. They were fantastic and I'm glad I got to see them live.

Three sponsors, Lloyds TSB, Coca Cola and Samsung ,had vans around the side where you could have your photo taken with a torch, there were long queues and after a little 'what are they doing? They are so silly queueing for a torch photo...' We got in one and had our photo taken.

The torch was lighter than I thought it would be.

The atmosphere was just amazing, it was buzzing so many people around and as the torch got closer it just built and built.

Then the torch, buses from coke came by and then just peeping over the top of the crowds heads was the torch, I don't know who was carrying it but it looked fantastic and I could see the flame.

I felt privileged to see it with thousands of other people. There aren't many times you can feel proud to be British but seeing the people of Portsmouth cheering and clapping and just getting involved made me feel very proud of not only my city but where I come from.

I wasn't that bothered about the Olympics before but after seeing the torch I cannot wait for the Olympics to start and Team GB to win some gold!!

The torch just outside the Queen's Hotel in Southsea...


No comments:

Post a Comment