Monday 9 July 2012

Things aren't always what they seem....


Now to some, due to the size, these may look like Whoopie pies, like cupcakes but like a mini dense sponge.

But alas these are not Whoopie pies but massive macaroons.

My mum asked me to make some macaroons and I felt after the last disaster I needed to try them again. With my faith in Marian Keyes I knew as a non-baker her recipe would be perfect for me to get back onto the baking horse, so to speak.

You add melted chocolate to the egg whites, which deflates the mixture but Marian says not to fear, this is what is meant to happen.

These are less hassle as you don't pipe them out but use a spoon.

Now this is where the problem of size started. This mixture was meant to make 12 pairs, 24 singles, due to my big dollops I made 14 singles, so 8 pairs...ah well!

I then got on to the filling which was delicious. 

Due to the massive size of the macaroons I did some on their own and some as a sandwich as they could be a bit too much.

These were delicious and the size aside I think I have nailed the macaroon mixture, thank you Marian Keyes you have restored my faith in macaroons.

Marian's mixture uses more ground almonds than other recipes which I think is better.
If you are unsure about macaroons try Marian's not hussle or fiddly.

Chocolatey and delicious!





No comments:

Post a Comment