Sunday 17 March 2013

Film review - Oz the Great and Powerful

The Wizard of Oz is without a doubt my favorite film. I have loved it since I was a child and can sit and watch it from beginning to end without fast-forwarding or getting restless I love it.

So I am sometimes a bit skeptical when it comes to re-makes. I had no interest in seeing Andrew Lloyd Webber's remake of the musical. However, I did read Wicked and saw the musical and loved it. I suppose I don't mind re-imagining of the story before it is just the actual story I want left alone.

When I saw Oz The Great and Powerful was coming out I was looking forward to seeing it and thought the cast looked amazing - James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis, and directed by Sam Raimi which is quite interesting really as he has directed the Spider-man films and The Evil Dead.

It starts in black and white and in a square, just like the original 1939, and then when he gets to Oz is goes into glorious technicolour. 

The story is about Oz, a conman/magician in Kansas who gets swept up in a tornado and ends up in Oz. He is found by Theodora (Kunis) who believes he is the Wizard here to save Oz from the wicked witch. She brings him to her sister Evanora (Weisz) who doesn't quite believe the prophecy is true. On his travels he finds Glinda the Good Witch (Williams) they join forces to give Oz back to the people. He is also joined by a winged monkey called Finley (Zach Braff) and the beautiful China Girl (Joey King). 

There are a few laughs some from Finley. It is a brilliant, nostalgia, family film. 

James Franco is unlikable but likable at the same time. Mila Kunis is phenomenal, her transformation from naive Theodora to someone completely different and altogether wicked is brilliant.

I watched the film in 3D and unlike other films it didn't feel like it was in 3D for 3D's sake. It added depth and made you feel as if you are looking through a window. Really beautiful and bright and colourful.

If you love The Wizard of Oz I think you will like this as it is similar to it, almost a homage. This is a brilliant film, although I do think it is a little to CGI-ed. A lot of special effects, but still fantastic. Go see with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment