Sunday 31 March 2013

The Big Reunion when all is said and done

Last week was the last of the current series of The Big Reunion and it ended with the concert I went to at the end of February.

It didn't show the whole concert but it was still good to relive it all, so much so that I have now pre-ordered the concert DVD and will be going to the Christmas party gig at the O2 in December.  

Watching the concert I was a little relieved (and disappointed) that I didn't make the cut. My friend's friends were in one shot though. Well I knew I was there.

I thought I would use a post to talk about the Big Reunion. I have seen many of these shows - Take That and Spice Girls, where they re-interview old bands who reflect on the good ol' days. Only to reveal that they were not that great and they were plagued by self-doubt, drugs and lots of sex with older fans. The Take That one broke my six-year-old fan heart that the guys were less than perfect. 

I was relieved that watching the Spice Girls one that they were friends with each other, well we all knew Mel B and Geri were at each others throats, but I suppose the most telling thing is that Victoria is never really with other girls anymore. I suppose if I had a multi-million pound global fashion house I wouldn't want to be associated with the 'Posh' Spice label still.

Also the Steps one which was upsetting as they really didn't like each other, so when I saw them on tour all I kept thinking was 'they hate each other really'.

So I was little apprehensive when I saw this show was going to be on. It featured all the bands that I loved when I was a child in the nineties, I saw some as well at radio roadshows. For a re-cap the show featured Honeyz, B*Witched, 5ive, 911, Liberty X, Atomic Kitten and later one Blue, who didn't really split up recently but ah well.

It was a really interesting show revealing what it was like to be in a band during those years. Record labels pushing them to the edge of their sanity if they knew they were on to a good thing. All the bands left on quite good terms, Atomic Kitten always seemed to be fighting, very fiery. 5ive as well were quite interesting proper bad boys.

I loved 5ive and fell more in love with them after the show. They are and were fantastic.

But at the end of the day it was interesting and good to see the bands gelling quite well after all these years.

It does make you wonder after the success of this show who will be in the next series - Cleopatra? Busted? Hear'say? S Club 7? Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment