Tuesday 5 April 2011

Hi, my name's Charlotte and I'm a Buffy-o-holic.

The nineties were all about girl power. The Spice Girls were the fore-runners and although I loved them and their pioneering girl power, there was always one female fighter who symbolised what it was to be a girl, with a no mess attitude who could dress pretty but kick your arse if she wanted. That girl was Buffy Summers.


The programme started in 1997 and seven series later it ended (2003). It propelled its stars, and a teen queen in the form of Sarah Michelle Gellar was born.

Buffy was unlike any other show out at the time, of course there was Dawson's Creek (which I did love), but that show sometimes was just too much, the teens looked about 30 and used a lot of very long words. With Buffy there were dramas but also demons, and the stars looked about the right age.


The show was just fantastic and some episodes were so dark and creepy. Episodes such as Nightmares or Hush where the creepy and frightening is brought in to the real world, but thank the lord there was always Buffy ready to fight to the death, which she did, I think she died twice.

She fell in love with Angel and lost herself to him to not only get her heart broken but I think he also tried to kill her. Toxic boyfriend on a major level, I think that is the problem sometimes with Edward he is just hormones whereas Angel was loving, tortured and potentially dangerous. (I will note here that I am a Twilight fan and love Edward, but it's always Angel).

For a show about ghosts and ghouls it was really relateable.  The teenage angst and problems were all that we could look at.

Even now watching the episodes although the clothes have dated and they use videos instead of DVDs, they haven't dated that much, well, the first season it a little dated but it was 1997. Buffy showed girls that you could be your own person and take no prisoners, she also didn't rely totally on men. Also even though she was pretty she was still on the outside and never in the 'in-crowd' so everyone could relate to her, she had her close friends and that's all she needed.

The love of Angel and Buffy, a love that was meant to be but couldn't. Whereas Bella and Edward are intense and all powerful, and a little creepy Buffy and Angel were passion and love. Soul mates.... I was devastated when they split, Riley never compared!

The script was fast-paced and witty, written to perfection. The show finished in 2003 but I still love it as much today as I did then. I have had a slight overload and been watching it constantly. I know this is sad but I honestly think I would be a different person if I had not watched Buffy in my younger days. It lost its way a little in season 7 but it was still pretty good.

It feels me with dread that there have been rumours of a Buffy film re-make, no SMG, no Alyson Hannigan, in their place Megan Fox............... I will boycott LEAVE IT WELL ALONE!

Josh Whedon was a genius! So come on then everyone Once More With Feeling... we love Buffy as it is so leave it well alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment