Thursday 21 April 2011

Twit Chat

I think I am becoming addicted to Twitter. I don't spend every waking moment thinking about it, but when I'm online I cannot stop checking the updates seeing who has posted what and when. And I will admit I can go days without posting anything but as soon as I get on there I post so much... all my 'witty' comments pop into my head when I'm on there and I seem to post something every few seconds, sad but true.

It is a place where you can get an insight into a celebrities world and know what they are doing or what they are thinking at any given moment. In our celeb-crazed world I am often surprised that a lot of celebs are willing to share everything with the public, but then I suppose they do it on their own terms when they want not when the press forces them to.

I have noticed how increasingly papers and the press are using social networks such as Twitter for stories, especially when it comes to famous people. When Philip Schofield and Fearne Cotton posted updates on Holly Willoughby going into labour the papers were filled with both sets of updates being used as the source of stories. Tom Fletcher from McFly recently announced he had proposed to his girlfriend and she said yes, and over the next couple of days it was on news stories and in websites.

Papers have been known to put out messages asking for stories from people on Twitter. It is a easy way to connect with the community and people.


I am surprised that also with the Imogen Jones story in which she has had an affair with a Premier league footballer, an injunction has been placed on any papers naming him. However, within a couple of days Twitter was alive with people saying who it apparently was and everyone was very willing to comment on it.

Twitter is a funny beast, the defamation defences have been changed to accommodate what people say on it. Courtney Love famously was sued by a designer as she was not too pleasant about her designs on Twitter. But it seems people can get away with a lot more on twitter as it is a very personal device almost as if someone is looking into exactly what you are thinking.


I just get enthralled by what people publish, the news is posted here pretty much first. It is also unlike Facebook, which is a place where you are linked to friends from your past and present, you get updates from those who you used to know mostly. Twitter lets us enter a world that we were once barred from.


No comments:

Post a Comment