Wednesday 30 November 2011

My Week With Marilyn

I am surprised that I have never published a piece about my love for Marilyn Monroe. For as long as I can remember I have been a fan of Marilyn Monroe, I do remember watching 'Some Like it Hot' with my Grandad so I think it stems from there.

As I got older my fascination grew, I have many posters and prints on my walls of the actress and have many books on my shelves. Many biographies and picture books, all filled with facts, theories and maybe a little fiction, probably created by Monroe herself to get the public on her side.

I have read so many they blur into one, one however I have not read it 'The Prince, The Showgirl and Me', a diary by Colin Clark, who worked as a third assistant on the filming of 'The Prince and the Showgirl' (1957) starring Monroe and Laurence Olivier.

Clark was 23, and the book is his first hand account of having to deal with Marilyn during filming, he subsequently fell in love with her and had his heart broken by her, as so many men did.


The book was published in 1995 and the film is out now.

I was a little dubious at first as a Marilyn Monroe fan I am always a little critical about people playing Marilyn.


However, I was pleasantly surprised Michelle Williams is just phenomenal, she made me fall a little in love with her portrayal of Marilyn and that is just what she does portray Marilyn. She isn't trying to be her, or do a funny caricature.


She has picked up Monroe's mannerisms and is playing a normal Marilyn. She does deserve the Oscar and at times I had to remind myself that it wasn't the real one.


I don't personally think that anyone could have played Marilyn in quite the same way. Scarlett Johansson and Megan Fox may be fans or style themselves like Marilyn but I personally feel if they had played the star they would have pushed the sexuality aspect of her persona to the forefront and rather than a fragile young woman, she would have been a sex goddess with a tinge of sadness. Whereas, Williams plays her with a vulnerability, while also showcasing her magnetism and sex appeal.


As a massive fan I just felt a sense of relief after seeing it and felt that Williams had done the actress justice.

The film itself was really good, Kenneth Branagh is brilliant as Olivier and conveys the jealousy he felt towards the Hollywood star. Eddie Redmayne as Colin has a naivety and innocence. All the cast are really good and add something. But Williams does steal every scene she is in just as Miss Monroe did.

There were moments in the film that I kept thinking if Marilyn and Colin sleep together it is fabricated as I know people think she was a bit loose, but when married I believe she remained faithful.

I think the film showed a side of Marilyn that we don't really see - her lack of confidence when she filmed and also how people she worked with saw her. As they say when she turns it on she has it, also that she had a natural talent that many try years to achieve.

This is a great film and Williams is amazing as Marilyn and if she gets the Oscar nod she more than deserves to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment