Friday 18 November 2011

The Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn Part 1

I have said before I am a twi-hard and last night I went to the midnight screening of the latest instalment Breaking Dawn Part 1.

If you haven't seen the film or read the book then please do not read on as there will be spoilers.

You have been warned.

I will admit outright this is not my favourite book, I felt it was really long and bit boring. However, the film.... AMAZING! A little shocking, a little mental but overall director Bill Condon has done a really good job. Although I do think part 2 isn't going to be as good.

Anyway part 1...

The film starts with the wedding, honeymoon, then Bella pregnant and having the baby. It feels like two different films. The first part they are all happy, Edward even smiles! There are funny bits, the speeches at the wedding are just so funny. The honeymoon is a bit of a love in and for any twi-hard will make a smile creep across your face as Edward and Bella are finally Mr and Mrs Cullen and you would think will live happily ever after.

However, Bella gets pregnant with a 'demon child' and this is when the film starts to get a little darker. When Jacob goes to visit Bella to see if she is still human she looks almost grey and gaunt, like a completely different person. The make up and special effects in this part are just phenomenal Kristen Stewart looks completely different from her happy blushing bride at the beginning.

Anyone who has read the books will know that the birth scene is pretty brutal, the film is a 12A but even so it is still pretty bloody and shocking, you don't see a lot it's mainly from Bella's perspective fading in and out but I think you see enough.

Although I would be interested to see what someone who hasn't read the books would say as in the book Edward rips open Bella's stomach with his teeth and gets the baby out, you don't really see this just Edward disappear and then come up with blood over his face and the baby but I think because I know what happens in the book it feels worse.

There was a point as well that I thought Bella was actually going to die...just shows you how good the acting is.

The bit when she changes to a vamp is very good her body goes back to how it was instead of a skeleton frame and it goes through all the other three films, reminding you how young they looked in the first Twilight film. Also Kristen Stewart looks beautiful, like a sleeping beauty.

I think it is a shame in the films though that you don't get to see much of the Cullens, but the bits they are provide moments of laughter and apprehension.

When me and my friend came out we were a little shocked and dumbstruck, the second half just sticks with you and it is a little heavy but Bill Condon does portray it really well, it does make you wonder what the 15 rated version was like though.

One thing though when Jacob 'imprints' on Renesmee it is lame and cheesy but that is the only bit that is.

Overall, I think the film is fantastic and cannot wait to see it again. If you are a twi-hard you will not be disappointed, this film I think does live up to expectations.

On another note though I was driving to my boyfriend's house through a village and walking down the road was a husky! It scared the beegeesus out of me, when you have watched a film about werewolves you don't want to see a lone wolf like dog walking down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment