Thursday 24 November 2011

Wild Beasts, University of Southampton Student Union, 21st November 2011

I will admit outright I wasn't a massive fan of Wild Beast nor did I know the names of most of the songs before seeing them, however, after experiencing them live my opinion has completely changed.

I had seen them before a few years ago when they supported The Foals, who were on tour with their debut album, and although I can remember they were good I was there for The Foals and was a little restless. Not the case for my boyfriend it was love at first sight and so he started to follow the bands every move.

He was the one who bought the tickets and I am very glad he did.

First the band are a four piece indie rock band from Kendal in Cumbria, there are two lead singers I suppose Hayden (sings the higher notes) and Tom (the lower ones), my boyfriend said if he could sing like anyone it would be Tom.

Both the voices complement each other and are so different but blend so fantastically.

Their sound I would say is a bit of a mix of The Cure, and Editors but is then totally unique and just amazing.

My favourite song live had to be Albratross it is so hauntingly beautiful and Hayden's voice is just so enchanting.

They are unlike any band I have seen before, it was a very chilled out gig, but the audience were die hard fans and at certain points the would cheer and clap at their favourites.

However, Southampton did have one thing going against it, they couldn't clap in time! One half were one half wasn't, something Hayden said was very confusing for the band.

Now personally I don't think the union at Southampton is a great venue but for this gig the sound quality was really good.

The last gig I saw at the union was The Courteeners and the atmosphere was completely different for one people weren't throwing around pee.

This gig was just phenomenal, this band are fantastic live and I wouldn't hesitate to see them again.
For me the end did come to soon.

Set List:
- Bed of Nails
- We Still Got the Taste Dancin' on Our Tongues
- Albatross
- The Devil's Crayon
- The Fun Powder Plot
- Two Dancers (II)
- Deeper
- This Is Our Lot
- Loop the Loop
- Two Dancers (I) 
- Reach a Bit Further
- Hooting and Howling
Encore:
- Lion's Share
- All the King's Men
- End Come Too Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment