Sunday 17 June 2012

Chester Rocks, Chester Racecourse, Saturday, June 16 2012

Over two days Chester racecourse plays host to two very different types of music. On Saturday the bands include The Rifles, The Suns, The View, Cast and The Courteeners. On the Sunday audiences pack in to see Pixie Lott, Katy B, Labrinth and Maverick Sabre, two very different types of music.

As a massive Courteeners fan it was a no-brainer to get tickets for the Saturday and for £35 you can't go wrong really.

The run up to the weekend the weather was not great, a normal great British weather of rain in the summer.

I saw the weather forecast for Saturday and for Chester it said torrential rain and thunder and lighting, and I was scared. Me and the boyfriend were all set with kags in a bag and wellies. The ground was ok a little soft but not a swamp. Throughout the day it was drizzle and then stop, but we didn't get soaked which I was glad about. However, it was freezing but the weather didn't dampen our day.

Me and my boyfriend got there about half two (gates opened at two) and we were amazed at just how much there was a lot of bars, little stalls with Pimms and strawberry cider for sale, delicious by the way like eating strawberries, also loads of food on offer fish and chips, posh burgers, normal burgers and loads more about £7 so ok for festivals.

For lunch I had the fish and chips they were priced up separately chips £2 and the battered haddock was £5.50 and it was worth every penny. The fish was delicious, crispy not too greasy and just the best fish and chips I have ever had. The boyfriend chose a lamb burger and fries and when he saw my fish and chips he instantly regretted his decision.

There was also a sweet stall, oxygen party where for £5 you can get five minutes of O2, I know I didn't get it either, also a fun fair with attractions.

We missed the first act but caught The Suns, the lead singer looked like Guy Garvey from Elbow and the sounded very much like Johnny Cash, good.

The other bands were good, The Rifles were brilliant having seen them before I knew they would be good, however, the sound suffered a little as it kept dipping out. Almost as if the wind was carrying it away. It was a shame as I know how good they are in a small venue but still equally good.

Considering I wasn't really looking forward to them The View were really, really good. We only knew the one song Same Jeans but the crowd loved them and were singing along to the whole set and I was pleasantly surprised. I did think that The Rifles would be third billing but I think out of the final four they were the least known up north.

Cast were part of the Brit pop scene back in the 90s and to be honest I didn't really know who they were. The crowd on the other hand did. But when they started performing there were quite a few songs I recognised on the set list including - Flying and Guiding Star, Google them you will instantly recognise them. They were great and showed the young bands they still have it.

After Cast were the headliners The Courteeners. This was the fourth time I had seen the band, previously in small venues. They played a couple of new songs including Welcome to the Rave, which was good. I loved the old songs though What took you so long?, Cavorting,  and Not 19 Forever.

I didn't recognise Liam at first as he has cropped his hair but he did look good.

The band as always were amazing, just fantastic live. Great vocals and just played to perfection, I knew there was a reason I loved this band, just a shame it took them so long to come back and perform.


I will admit that I think something is lost in a large festival, the atmosphere was great and lively with people singing and dancing. I think I prefer the intimate feel of a smaller venue but loved The Courteeners all the same. I think for the money it was well worth it but would prefer Courteeners in a small venue.

I recommend Chester Rocks fantastic day out.

Check out the website: http://www.chester-rocks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment