Tuesday 5 June 2012

The day I met the Queen

When I started at Admiral Lord Nelson school in 1997, there were already two years above us but they had been in another building. So when I started in September 1997 we were the first pupils to step inside the brand new building and also the first year to go from year 7 to 11 in that building.

To celebrate the brand new school opening The Queen was invited to open the new building.

Students were selected to welcome her with flags and dotted around various classrooms. I was picked to be in the IT suite and was told to work on a new project.

We were told that when the Queen came in we were to carry on with our work and not turn around. Try telling a bunch of 11-13 year olds not to turn around and look at the Queen though. You can probably guess what happened when she came in, we all turned around to catch a glimpse of the woman on coins, cash and stamps.

It was surreal and passed in a bit of blur, I remember she was short but looked regal, strangely enough.

I did get to talk to her people though, who came and asked about my work.

It was one of those moments I will never forget and as it is the jubilee today I thought it was quite fitting to write about when I (kind of) met the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment