Monday 11 June 2012

Film reviews - Snow White and the Huntsman; Prometheus; Crazy, Stupid, Love

In the last week I have watched three very different films but each in their own way equally brilliant.

Over the Diamond Jubilee I saw Snow White and Huntsman starring Charlize Theron, Kristen Stewart and Liam Hemsworth.

Based on the Brother's Grimm fairytale it tells the tale of Snow White, kept as a prisoner after her father the King is killed by his beautiful new bride Ravenna (Theron). She desperately wants to be the fairest of them all, however, when Snow White comes of age it becomes apparent that not only is she the fairest of them all but will be the undoing on the Queen.

To survive the Queen needs Snow White's heart, so she hires the Huntsman to do so but instead he trains her ready for battle to reclaim her throne.
Stewart does a fantastic English accent, but with an English boyfriend I'm not surprised, however, even though she is the title character she doesn't really steal the scenes. I would say the three characters are of equal footing but for me Theron does steal the show as the man-hating slightly mental Queen Ravenna.

It is a great adventure tale and you will find it hard not trying to name the famous faces playing the eight, yes eight, dwarves.
Visually breathtaking and a true fairy tale adventure, without the happy ending, well it ends happily but Snow White does not ride off in the distance with a Prince, which I thought was great. A great strong woman film.
Next on the list and again starring Charlize Theron was Prometheus, the prequel to the Alien films by Ridley Scott.

We watched it in 3D and I think I was expecting a lot from this film and I'm not totally sure it delivered.
 
Set in the future it tells the story of a crew looking for the start of the human race in another universe. IMDB plot line describes it quite well 'A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.'

Visually with the 3D it does look amazing and you feel you are looking into a window of reality. The story on the whole is good but there are some obvious plot holes which leave you a little confused. It makes me wonder if Scott made a three hour film and was told to cut it down.
It is slightly jumpy but at a 15 doesn't pack the same punch as Alien and Aliens, both of which were 18 certificates. It has a stellar cast which I feel makes you want more from the film, an unrecognisable Guy Pearce, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, Theron, Michael Fassbender and other recognisable faces and Tom Hardy doppelganger Logan Marshall-Green.
If you like sci-fi you will like it and the ending does link with the Alien films but don't expect any big questions being answered as you may be disappointed.
The final film I caught was Crazy, Stupid, Love starring Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Steve Carrell and Emma Stone.
I suppose the best way to describe this film is as a rom-com but I watched it with my boyfriend and he seemed to enjoy it. I feel it is more a drama-com as it doesn't follow the usual boy meets girl, loses girl blah blah blah.
 
Basically the story is Emily (Julianne Moore) and Cal (Steve Carrell) are a married couple, until Emily informs him she has slept with a colleague and wants a divorce. With the help of new friend Jacob (Gosling) he re-discovers his manhood.

It is a greatly funny film with some twists and turns, one of which I didn't see coming but it is light hearted and really good. It does centre a lot on soul mates and your one true love with different story lines on the same theme, however, unlike say the film Valentines Day, there are only a few interlinking characters. Really good funny, easy to watch film.
Three great films my top pick would be Snow White and the Huntsman. I got The Help for my birthday so if I get the time I'll write a review of that having read the book last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment